Saturday, February 27, 2010

Phil...comfort food...and a recipe from Kim.

This week was a challenge.  I knew it would be, death is never an easy thing.  A co-workers son passed away and last night was the viewing.  Today, my work buddy Phil in TN lost his battle with cancer.  I had the opportunity to work with him for a few years; and although we never met, I considered him a friend.  He was the most thoughtful, fun loving guy with a never wavering faith.  I will miss you Phil. 

So after all this, of course the one thing I wanted today was comfort food.  Shepherds pie to be more exact. I used to make it when I wasn't watching my food so close.  The potatoes and cheese...mmmMMmm.....doesn't that just scream comfort?  Today, I decided I was going to make it.  One way or another.  Long story short, I made it.  It tasted GREAT.  It was FILLING, and most importantly it was COMFORTING. 

Here is the recipe:  Serves 3

9 oz (raw) extra extra lean diet ground beef.  (93/7 is good)
1 small onion chopped
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped carrot.  (You can add celery too but I didn't have any on hand or any veg you might want)
1 TBSP tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock.  (Might not use it all)
2 to 3 Tbsp red wine
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp (or less) dry yellow mustard
1 small can of whole kernel corn (one of the little mini cans is good)
8 oz of baby red potatoes
1 TBSP of I Can't Believe it's not Butter
1.5 oz shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

While boiling the red potatoes brown the meat in a stainless steel pan.  Remove meat from the pan and set aside.  Add onion and garlic to the pan.  If needed add the olive oil and cook until onions are soft.  Add carrots and celery and cook for about 2-3 minutes.  Add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Add the wine to help deglaze the pan. Add a little chicken stock until you have a gravy like consistency.  Add corn.  Let simmer for approx 10 minutes.  Add chicken stock as necessary. You want to have a little gravy for the dish. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

When the potatos are ready, drain and SMASH (not mash) with the I Can't Believe it's not butter and a little pepper.  They will be chunky...and..leave the skins on.  They are good for you!  Spoon the meat mixture into individual crocks.  Top with smashed potatoes and half an ounce of the shredded cheese.  Melt cheese in the oven for about 4 minutes.  Serve with 1 ounce of a good crusty baguette bread (2 slices cut about 3/4 inch thickness) 

Calories for 1 serving: 460.

Try it and enjoy it when you need some comfort.  ~Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment